Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 (Harbor, OR)

We woke up to sunny skies and the wind had let up.  It was a good day for traveling.  We left around 10:30 and headed south. 

Things were going fine until I decided it would be nice to take a lunch break.  We pulled off on a nice wide shoulder with an awesome view of the ocean in Humbug Mountain State Park.  I saw this nice path that looked like it went to the edge of the cliff, as I was walking along I started noticing all these shiny red oak type leaves on these shrubs, yikes, I was in the middle of a poison oak patch.  I didn't even know poison oak grew on the coast.  So now what, did I brush any of them with my clothes or not?  I went back by the truck and let Rich know what I had found, so he climbed inside the fiver and opened up the bedroom slide so he could get me a clean pair of jeans and jacket to change into.  I did a quick search on my phone and yep, sure enough there is a poison oak warning on the park web site under Friendly Reminders.  I wish they would have had a sign along side the road.  Boy we are praying that we don't come down with a case of poison oak. 

So after eating our lunch in the truck we headed on down the road.  We had stayed at Beachfront RV Park in Harbor a couple years ago.  The park aesthetics aren't much and the sites are close together but the redeeming feature is that you are actually on the beach.

Here are some pictures of our site and views.  

What we see from the front of our rig

Our site

What we see from the rear of our rig
Behind that fence is part of the bay.  We'll probably only be here a couple days before we head out.  Tomorrow is the start of salmon season and the park is suppose to fill up by the weekend. 

After we got set up we took a drive into Brookings and stopped to check out Harris Beach State Park.  It has some pretty view sites of the ocean, but you have to walk a ways to get to the beach.  We got out and took a little walk on the beach, it was pretty windy down there.  Where we are in Harbor, it's not quite so windy and it was much warmer.  As we were headed back to our campground, we saw a fruitstand, so stopped and picked up some fresh veggies and fruit. 

We had a quick easy dinner and then took a walk down to the jetty and then back to our rig on the beach.

Jetty and Chetco River


Beach 

This beach is full of wood and small pebbles, not very much sand and it's pretty steep to the water, so poor Gracie it may not be a very good beach for playing fetch. 



No comments:

Post a Comment