Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday, June 2, 2013 (Spokane, WA)

We woke up to a rainy, dreary day.  Our plans today were to go to church and go visit my uncle and aunt that live in the area.

The church we had picked out to visit was called the Life Center in Spokane.  We finally found a church that was bigger than Westside.  What an extreme compared to last weeks visit with 11 attendees. The worship center holds 1,800 and today it was pretty much full.  We were just at the first service and they had one more in the morning and one in the evening.  Westside is still our favorite so far.

After church we had a couple hours before we were due at my uncle and aunt's home, so we went to the REI store and picked up a few items.  Then it was off to Starbucks for our traditional Sunday coffee stop.  We still had a little bit of time and we were in the neighborhood of Trader Joes, so ran by and picked up the aloe vera juice that they were out of when we stopped Friday. Then it was off to Spokane Valley to visit my dad's oldest brother and his wife.  I hadn't seen them in many many years, probably around 15. 

Uncle Ed, Aunt Kay and me


I'm glad we stopped, we had a very enjoyable 3 hour visit catching up.  It was fun to hear what my cousins were up to and also some history about my dad's side of the family as well as some travel stories from my uncle and aunt.  We took the traditional garden tour - must be a family thing, everytime we would visit my mom and dad, my dad would take us on a tour of his garden, well same thing with my uncle.  =)  It was nostalgic to visit with them and see my uncle, he and my dad have some of the same family traits, you know the same way of saying things, the same little gestures, that sort of thing.  It did bring a tear to my eye a time or two and made me miss my dad.  Rich said that he could definitely tell they were raised by the same parents.  =)  My aunt Kay has dementia and didn't recognize me but she was still the same sweet lady she always was and sent us off with some of her famous chocolate/peanut butter candies, they were yummy. 

After our visit, we headed back to the fiver to get some things done before we depart tomorrow.  We've had a very nice visit here in the Spokane area and really like the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment