Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday, June 9, 2013 (St Regis, MT)

We woke to another pretty day.  I'm loving the sunshine.  Today we checked out the local Community Bible Church of St. Regis.  They have been the friendliest church we have attended thus far.  It is a small church, there were probably between 25-30 people and I think almost everyone said hi and introduced themselves, a very friendly bunch of folks.

After church, we just spent the afternoon around the fiver.  I did some reading while Rich worked on getting our bikes ready for tomorrow's adventure.  We will be riding the "Route of the Hiawatha".  It is almost 17 miles of riding on a historic rail trail.  More to come tomorrow. 

After Rich got the bikes ready, we decided to go swimming again.  I didn't hang out at the pool today because it was very windy and not quite as warm as yesterday.  I went to the office to ask them to uncover the pool for us and when I arrived, there was a note saying to call this number using the telephone booth (they actually have a pay telephone booth) and they'd be right down.  When was the last time you were in a telephone booth?  Anyway, there is a point to this story. 

Rich and I were in the pool swimming and a truck camper pulled up and a lady got out and walked over to the office which was closed and had the same note I had read about using the telephone booth phone to call.  I could see the lady was hesitant and I could relate, I felt the same way when I was reading the note, would I be bothering them, would it take them a long time to come down.  So I caught the ladies eye and made a motion to go ahead and use the phone.  Well she made some motions back at me, I know what you are thinking and no they weren't those kind of motions, they were the kind that deaf people use.  Well I didn't make the connection for a minute or two.  By this time I could see that she did go in the phone booth and she had dialed and was kind of waving the phone around shrugging her shoulders.  I can't really explain it, but I just knew she needed help.  So I got out of the pool and went over to see if I could help.  And sure enough, she was deaf.  So I had just gotten the phone dialed when the manager showed up.  She must have figured out someone needed help when her phone would ring but no one was talking.  Anyway, the lady got checked in and got her campsite.  I just know after a long day how frustrating it can be if you want to get settled in somewhere and you have to wait or try another campground.  The other point of this story is that by getting out of the water and into the wind, when I got back into that pool, boy that water sure felt good and warm.  It brought back nostalgic memories of when I was a kid and spent alot of time swimming in the creek or pond at my house with my brothers and parents.  How you could be so cold in the water and then get out for a minute or two and get back in and how that water would feel so much warmer and you were able to swim longer.  

The evening was spent getting caught up with my mom on the graduation activities of my neices and nephew this weekend.  Congrats to Allie, Mandy and James for their high school graduations.  I'm sure my two brothers are very proud of their kids.  

It's off to bed, because it's early to rise for our adventure tomorrow.....stay tuned.  =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment